Go back to normal view
THE WASHINGTON WINDOW
Special mention must be made of the Washington Window which is located in the D'Arcy Chapel. Full descriptive leaflets are available at the church. The Washington Window was given to All Saints' Church by the citizens of Malden, Massachusetts, U.S.A. in memory of the life of the Revd. Laurence Washington, formerly Rector of Purleigh, Essex, and great-great-grandfather of George Washington, the first President of the United States of America. Laurence Washington was a loyalist clergyman, ejected from his living and buried somewhere in our churchyard in 1652 (a time when graves were not marked so we do not know where his is situated). A record of his entry in the burial register may be found on the adjacent wall. A book listing the donors is on the window ledge.
The window was dedicated in All Saints on 5th July 1928 in the presence of the Bishop of Chelmsford, the Bishop of New Jersey, the Lord Lieutenant of Essex and the American Ambassador.
After 77 years the ravages of time had taken their toll on the window and it was completely refurbished in 2005 and re-dedicated on 31st July of that year, looking much as it did when originally installed. It is interesting to note that, at that re-dedication, there was present two members of our congregation who attended the original dedication all those years previously.
The commemorative programme of dedication and the story of how the window came to Maldon has recently been reproduced in a way which reflects, as accurately as possible, the original programme. Copies of this are available, post free, at a cost of £2.